Seriously… does it?
Because I’m going to lose my marbles over here. And I’m not even joking. So – I’m talking to you… parents of 4 year olds. Where were you last year? Why did you hide this dirty little secret?
Why didn’t you tell me that age 3 was worse than the “terrible twos?”
I blame the parents. For not warning us. I was completely blindsided by this obnoxious behavior. I thought… “Terrible twos? These aren’t that bad.. I’ve got this!”
And then… they. turned. three. Seriously. The twos were just a prelude to the mayhem to come.
Things that might cause me to go right over the edge:
- Hearing, “I’ll do it myself!” one more time.
- Another fight over how much dinner someone has to eat before they can get down from the table.
- One more shouting match at the table as I frantically scramble to fill orders over breakfast: “I need more MILK!”
- Btw… What happened to our manners? They seem to be all replaced with “I needs” or “I wants” – where did my cute babies who said “please” and “thank you” go?
- Oh… the time spent dressing! Because they can’t get their shoes/socks/pants/shirts on – but won’t let me help them.
- Fighting over who gets to read first / go pee first / sit down first / play with a toy first / – you get the idea…
- Hearing another back talk “NO!” when I ask/tell them to do something.
- I can’t take another day of coaxing them out of the house, into the car, out of the car… I mean – how many toys or other things can you need?
- My son has now decided he can open the door to go outside himself, get in the car by himself, walk in parking lots and stores by himself, and even drive my car. All of these he has either demonstrated or informed me of.
- My daughter is just outright defiant. She will look me right in the eyes and do exactly the opposite of what I ask her. Unbelievable.
So this is my plea. Mothers of 4 year olds. Please. Please. Please – tell me it gets better. I really need a sign of hope.
I actually shortened my list because I was starting to freak myself out.
Anyone else with me?