- I was going to pay the bills today. Balance our checkbook; redo our budget. Be an important financial planner in our household.
- I was going to grocery shop. We need food and I was going to make sure those needs were met.
- I was going to cook. Make a meal my family would be proud of; their mouths would water. … everyone would eat without complaint.
- I was going to call my aunt. Thank her for everything she does for us. Follow up on the phone call where I said, “I’ll call you sometime next week.”
- I was going to show people how much I appreciate them.
- I was going to say thank you and I love you.
- I was going to be a better friend.
- I was going to stop myself from losing my temper when tested by three year old monsters children.
I failed miserably….
Instead, there are a few things I did.
- I yelled at my children about a hundred times. I corrected them and corrected them and corrected them again. Because, well – my job is to help them grow into people that are tolerable.
- I helped my husband and children work on their tree house. Because Ray will soon enough try to do it without me (even though he shouldn’t), so I let my 3 year old boss me around because this tree house is really important to him.
- I took my kids and Mixie to visit my old bosses and secretaries. The ladies who love me like a daughter hugged my children fiercely. And my heart melted. My children were the center of attention at the big high school and it was a really cool experience for them. (Until they got in trouble for running in the halls and not holding a hand in the parking lot.)
- I showered. (Does this count? Because around here… it can be kind of huge).
- I made my kids their favorite breakfast.
- I told all 3 of my children I loved them… a lot.
I might not have failed as much as I thought.
Every day – we set these goals. Sometimes I feel like I could achieve them, but at the cost of what? Does anyone else EVER feel like that? Do you ever feel like you let your family and friends “down” with your “duties” because you were too busy doing the day to day things? Do you have a better way to balance these things?