Before We Meet In Real Life: Full Disclosure

An open letter to all my blogging friends headed to the SITS girls Bloggy Boot Camp in Philadelphia next weekend…

IMG_0101[1]

Especially my girl Kristen – who will be sharing a room with me -

There are some things you really should know before we get to Philly next weekend.
  • I really look like this:
        • I stress eat… and I’ve been under a lot of stress lately.
  • I take about a million pictures and suck in my face and neck to get the one that looks like this for the online world:

• I’m just nervous that if I don’t come clean with a “real” photo – you might not even recognize me.

• There is the issue of my bathroom problems. I’m sure you’ve heard. Thing’s aren’t quite normal anymore.
  • I should be ok if I avoid all fried foods like cheesesteak or French fries or beer or wine or stuff like that… Probably no problem in Philadelphia at a conference full of women…
  • I will also have my twitter handle hand written on my business cards.  I got them last year – before I went to BlogHer, but I didn’t even have a twitter account then.  And hubs is NOT down with me getting all new cards when I still have about a thousand sitting in a box, so … I will be re-using them. Hope I still look professional.

I’ve also decided I want to change my goals for blogging.  When I started, I wanted to have an outlet.  Some place – for me … that I could keep the crazy from taking over.  That has happened.  Then I started to make online “friends.”  A lot of these friends talked about making it big in the online world and using this as a real job. I learned something this week.  I don’t want that.

For me, it is just too complicated.  I’m not going to worry about my stats any more.  I’m going to write from the heart.  What I feel like, when I feel like.  And the business side… I’m going to let that slide.  Because at the end of the day – the friendships are what I want to trump over the business of blogging.  So, I’m really excited to meet everyone.  I hope you are not expecting to see the skinny me – ‘cause she isn’t here right now.  The real me will be hanging out by the doughnuts with her heart on her sleeve.  Trying not to make a misstep in a world she really doesn’t know much about.  And excited to try to make new friends.  (and petrified she will clog a toilet or two.)

See you next Friday. xo

Comments

You know, I hope all of us go into these conferences with a little nervousness. I know I am (and just about you clogging up our bathroom). I’m afraid people will not recognize me. I’m afraid people who haven’t been to my blog won’t reach out to me or if I reach out to them that they will lose interest and turn away. Then I think about how lucky I am that my first conference is with SITS. Tiffany was the first person to follow me on Twitter. She was the first person to engage in a Twitter conversation with me. I also know that the blogs I follow on a regular basis and their owners ARE the people that they say on their blobs because well, you just can’t make up this stuff. If they have made it up, I hope they don’t tell me. ;-)
    I think we are going to have a blast and meet so many of our good friends face to face for the first time. I am pretty sure I would compare the excitement of it all to Bieber Fever!
    Can’t wait to meet you in person and remind you there are restrooms in the lobby for #2! :-) xoxo

• TiffanyRom says:

Oh girls, we are going to have so much fun.

You’ll recognize me, I look like the older, pudgier sister of my twitter face… ;)

There is nothing like a day at BBC- I’ve been to 14 of them now and love every minute.

Can wait to meet you both.. be warned, I am a hugger.

xoxo
      Tiffany

2. Charlie says:

I wish I was going!!! You’re going to have a great time :)

Char- I so wish you were going. If you ever decide to do a conference on the east coast – Let me know. I would love to meet up with you in real life!!

3. Robbie says:

Love your honesty and I hope you have a fantastic time at the conference and don’t clog any toilets!

4. I’m terrified I’m going to fall off the toilet while transferring to-and-from my wheelchair. Guess I know who’s name to yell, since you’ll be in the bathroom anyways. :P

I am so excited to meet you!

5. Wendy @ mama one to three says:

You are so cute and sweet. Have fun!!

6. Awn says:

Girl, I love when you write from the heart! I can’t wait to hear all about it. And please, for me, eat a cheesesteak and drink a beer!

Awn, I’m going to have a Philly Special just for you. I should just go down to South Street like teenagers… back in the day. :)

7. So glad I stumbled on this! Don’t fret, my friend (for I have bathroom issues on occasion, too) and also -

I’m extremely jittery about SITS Philly! One, I blog on a New York newspaper platform, so my blog networking is slightly different now than it used to be when I was at blogger/wordpress/self hosted wordpress… (though I haven’t forgotten my sits girls!)
    Two, the Professor hubs is coming with me to gather some inspiration. He will be teaching a feminist rhetoric course, as well as an online communications course next year. Will I be the only woman who has a man with her? He’s cute, at least – you all will love all 5’8″ of him, ha.

I hope to meet you – and, if necessary, you can certainly borrow one of my Imodium A-D tablets! I keep them handy.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Stephanie -I hope you have a great day tomorrow! Don’t worry about SITS and having a guy – we will have a great time. I can’t wait to meet him and your 5’8” hunk :)

8. You are going to have a blast! I went to the Boot Camp in Atlanta and learned tons!

9. Yes, sit back, relax, and enjoy the blog ride. That’s my take on it as well. Have fun at your Bloggy Boot Camp.

Kelly, What a great perspective. I think you are totally right. I need to stop focusing so much on “growing the blog” and remember to love it. And thanks, I will have fun :)

10. Awesome- so glad to know you before meeting you in Philly :) I’m excited to come from Texas (and also hang withmy BFF). My blog is totally just for me- my story, my pics, my life- and that’s how I want it!

Amanda – I can’t wait to meet you either! My BFF lives just outside Philly too. I hope you have a great trip and a great time with your BFF!

11. Julia says:

Have a great time at BBC Philly, it sounds like a good time.

12. Woo Hoo for BBC Philly! I will be there too and can’t wait to meet you! I’m nervous that when people meet me they will be thinking “oh that’s that girl who writes that lame blog”.

A total basket case and totally excited at the same time!

13. Denise says:

I am looking forward to meeting you. I think we will get along swimmingly :)

14. AnnMarie says:

I am sooooo jealous! I want to go so badly…I’m like the girl that didn’t get invited to the big party and I really, really want to be there (get it…from your other post that I love so much). I joined this world too late so maybe the next one. Have so much fun! I can’t wait to read about it!

15. Adrienne says:

This is such a great post! I love that you’re finding your way online and following your heart for writing what you want-when you want it!! <3

Trackbacks

1. [...] Truth is, every time I try something new, I still feel like a 13 year old kid. Like when I’m going to a conference and have to meet all these new people.  Or I’m bumbling around the online world, trying not to [...]